Advisory Body on Customs Affairs
Customs issues and formalities are the daily bread of the Ghanaian Freight forwarder. The GIFF Advisory Body on Customs Affairs (GABCA) has been duly re-constituted and as a FIATA member, the committee echoes the aspirations of FIATA’s Customs Affairs Institute. Terms of reference and other details are as under:
Terms of Reference
The strategic GIFF Advisory Body on Customs Affairs Agenda addresses amongst others the following items that are of major concern to the Ghanaian freight forwarding industry.
A. Purpose & Objective (Strategic & Market Development Oversight)
The aim and objective of the body is to provide Strategic Guidance, Advice & Oversight in customs matters for GIFF members.
B. Advisory Body Mandate
The duly constituted Advisory Body on Customs Affairs shall:
- Serve to leverage a partnership between Ghana Customs Authorities and GIFF members to protect Ghana’s International trade sector from customs related fraud and security threats, in order to improve productivity and revenue.
- Promote GIFF, and its member, as primary representatives of Ghana’s International trade and industry in customs matters.
- Support other GIFF Committees in identifying and securing commercial advantage from new customs laws and procedures.
- Through the relevant local bodies, promote and encourage closer coordination between customs authorities to obtain commercial benefits for GIFF members.
- Observe, examine and influence all customs policies to defend the interests of GIFF members.
- Periodically review the infrastructure, legal, and institutional arrangements of customs procedures locally and basis recommend best operational procedures for members. operations in the sector,
- Prepare and consider papers on topics relating to customs procedures and advice on the policies and practices for the same and onward submission to Council.
- Review any unusual transactions or practices prevailing in the sector with regards to customs procedures and play the role of GIFF/Customs Authority Dispute Resolution Forum.
- Respond to requests from practitioners in this sector, the Executive Council and other committees and panels for advice and recommendations on issues and, where necessary, raise with any organization or individual issues with which that organization or individual may be able to assist.
- Examine & suggest any other relevant issues having a bearing on the industry with regards to Customs procedures
The Advisory Body will fulfill this role by:
- Being constituted so as to be representative of the interest of the various services and areas of operations of the institute;
- Meeting on a regular basis with planned agendas and minutes of proceedings; and
- Publishing a summary of its work from time to time on the GIFF website by way of summary minutes of its meetings or an annual summary.
(a) The Chairman will oversee the efficient and effective operation of the Body in accordance with these Terms of Reference.
(b) In fulfilling these duties The Chairman will use best endeavors to act independently with due regard for the interests of all managing and members’ agents, and in accordance with any legal or regulatory requirements.
(c) In particular, the Chairman (with the assistance of a secretary who will be appointed by the National Secretariat) shall ensure that the Body conducts its business in accordance with the requirements of GIFF meeting procedures.
(d) The Chairman, after consultation with all Body members present at any relevant meeting, shall take the ultimate decision regarding the following matters:
(i) which issues to be escalated to the attention of any of the other Committees and via them to the attention of the Executive Council.
(ii) any decision where a quorate vote of Members is inconclusive.
The Chairman will be nominated by Council from amongst the Members of the Body basis on the following criteria.
He/she will have:
- Relevant experience/criteria
- Broad experience of customs regime
- Recognized authority among practitioners in the sector
- Ability to represent practitioners’ interests to external bodies
- Reputation for fairness and integrity
- Technical knowledge
A Vice Chairman will also be selected by Council who will act when the substantive chairman is absent at meetings.
The Chairman will normally retire every 2 year(s), but will be eligible for re-nomination.
Any GIFF member who has an issue which it believes is of concern to GIFF in general, should send first a report to the chairman of the GABCA.
1) Chairman,- Joseph Obu
2) Vice Chairman – Jonathan Amanor
3) Member - David Nutakor
4) Member – Robert Kutin Jnr
5) Member – Serwoh