Terms of Reference
Drawing on the vision, mission and value statements of the Institute the goal of the Technical Committee is to:
“meet the needs of members in terms of their professional development through the provision of
technology interchange, technology transfer and other services which result in an enhancement
of the quality of good freight forwarding practice, improved cooperation and a reduction in operational malpractices.”
A. Purpose & Objective (Strategic & Market Development Oversight)B
The aim and objective of the Committee is to provide Strategic Guidance, Advice & Oversight for development of the Freight forwarding sector of Ghana & provide due roll in GIFF dispute resolution.
B. Committee Mandate
The duly constituted Technical Committee shall:
- Review & recommend measures for deepening and widening the Freight forwarding sectors of Ghana.
- Review & suggest measures for developing the sector and promoting best industry practices.
- Periodically review the infrastructure, legal, and institutional arrangements for operations in the sector.
- Prepare and consider papers on topics relating to product/ market development and advice on the policies and practices for the same and onward submission to Council.
- Review any unusual transactions or practices prevailing in the sector & play the role of National Industry Dispute Resolution Forum.
- Respond to requests from practitioners in this sector, the Executive Council and other committees and panels for advice and recommendations on issues and, where necessary, raise with any organization or individual issues with which that organization or individual may be able to assist.
- Examine & suggest any other relevant issues having a bearing on the industry
The Committee will fulfill this role by:
- Being constituted so as to be representative of the interest of the various services and areas of operations of the institute;
- Meeting on a regular basis with planned agendas and minutes of proceedings; and
- Publishing a summary of its work from time to time on the GIFF website by way of summary minutes of its meetings or an annual summary.
(a) The Chairman will oversee the efficient and effective operation of the Committee in accordance with these Terms of Reference.
(b) In fulfilling these duties The Chairman will use best endeavours to act independently with due regard for the interests of all managing and members’ agents, and in accordance with any legal or regulatory requirements.
(c) In particular, the Chairman (with the assistance of a secretary who will be appointed by the National Secretariat) shall ensure that the Committee conducts its business in accordance with the requirements of GIFF meeting procedures.
(d) The Chairman, after consultation with all Committee members present at any relevant meeting, shall take the ultimate decision regarding the following matters:
(i) which issues to be escalated to the attention of any of the Committees and via them to the attention of the Executive Council.
(ii) any decision where a quorate vote of Members is inconclusive.
The Chairman will be nominated by Council from amongst the Members of the Committee basis on the following criteria.
He/she will have:
- Relevant experience/criteria
- Broad experience of the sector
- Recognized authority among practitioners in the sector
- Ability to represent practitioners’ interests to external bodies
- Reputation for fairness and integrity
- Technical knowledge
A Vice Chairman will also be selected by Council who will act when the substantive chairman is absent at meetings.
The Chairman will normally retire every 2 year(s), but will be eligible for re-nomination
1) Chairman,- Frank Sarpong
2) Vice Chairman - Charles Reindorf
3) Tema - Regina Bedu
4) Takoradi – Dereck Agbodjan
5) KIA – Derrick Boateng
6) Aflao -.Arnold Kudolo
7) Elubo – Matthew Djeke